"Thank you for all you've done for me." - Shelly
Individuals are allowed the opportunity to learn about themselves at Udac, including the joy of being part of a working community and the reward of earning a paycheck, sharing time together in the community, the freedom of individual choice, healthy life practices and expressing themselves through creativity. Each individual at Udac is unique so each day can be different for everyone.
In 2018, Shelly came to Udac because she wanted to be part of the working community. She began in Udac's Mailing and Shredding department and soon became part of the Community Employment Services - landing a job at the Maritime Museum through EasyLiving. In addition to the Maritime Museum, she also works at St. Scholastica 2 days each week. She now enjoys her work and the connections she feels within her community.
At Udac, our role is to provide individuals with Education, Training, and Skill Development to increase independence within the community. Our person-centered learning pods are uniquely designed with individuals to help them develop the skills they determine are most valuable to them. Some examples of our learning pods include:
- Employment Services - Employment exploration, Development, and Support
- Work Readiness - Professionalism, communication, workplace relationships, teamwork, and job searching
- Technology Training - Computer training and internet safety
- Independent Living - Community living, social experiences, money management and literacy, household management, etc.
- Community Connections - Volunteering, gardening, touring facilities and life skills safety training
- Business Enterprise - Bulk mailing, confidential document destruction, packaging and assembly
- Health & Wellness - Discussions on improving health, healthy food choices, food selection and shopping, strength training and yoga